Good Funeral Guide Awards 2012
28 April, 2012
The Joy of Death Festival 2012 will pilot the first Good Funeral Guide Awards Ceremony to recognise outstanding service to the bereaved.
The awards will be made in the following categories on the basis of nominations received by the general public:
- Most Promising New Funeral Director
- Embalmer of the Year
- The Eternal Slumber Award for Coffin Supplier of the Year
- Most Significant Contribution to the Understanding of Death in the Media (TV, Film, Newspaper, Magazine or Online)
- Crematorium Attendant of the Year
- Best Internet Bereavement Resource
- The Blossom d’Amour Award For Funeral Floristry
- Funeral Celebrant of the Year
- Cemetery of the Year Award
- Gravedigger of the Year
- Funeral Director of the Year
- Best Alternative to a Hearse
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Book of the Year (published after 1 May 2011)
Anyone can nominate a person for the award.The awards ceremony will be on the evening of Friday 7 September 2012 at a prestigious hotel in Bournemouth. It will be hosted by Charles Cowling, founder of the Good Funeral Guide. The winners will receive a small trophy and a certificate in recognition of their achievement.
Said, organiser, Brian Jenner: “The funeral industry has many characters and styles, we want to recognise the diversity of the industry and allow the public to have some say in what they think is good. We thought we’d trial this format in 2012 to see if it’s an effective way to acknowledge outstanding service to the bereaved.
“We’ve already had some nominations. Barry Albin-Dyer and Ken West (father of natural burial) have been mentioned for their lifetime contributions. In the alternative hearse category, we’ve had a mention for Paul Sinclair, the motorcycle hearse rider, and Clare Brooks and Michelle Orton, who run the Volkswagen campervan hearse service.”
Anyone wishing to nominate should send an email with a written recommendation (no more than 100 words) to say why they think the company or individual is worthy of the award.
Please include an address and telephone number. Your citation may be quoted at the award’s ceremony on Friday 7 September 2012.
Email your entry to: firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 6 August 2012.